Air travel and green living

I’m going to open this can of worms because I’m *personally wrestling with this. I have a long-haul plane flight coming up and I’m telling you, I have so much guilt about it.

We all know that plane travel is bad for the environment. I don’t think that’s disputable.

How do we balance the need to clean up our collective act, so to speak, and the need/desire to get to far-away places? Can we discuss this? There are certainly jetsetters and corporations that are much bigger culprits at excessive flying than others, but I’m not looking for finger pointing. Those issues are worth addressing, of course, but I’m more interested here in talking about how we - as individuals - can get to a place where we can find a balance. If we make the conscious decision to get on a plane, how can we step away from the guilt and *enjoy the time away?

I know there are some people who have completely pulled cord on any kind of air travel and kudos to them. Living on an island, I don’t know if that will ever be realistic for me personally, but it’s something I’m hugely aware of.

Here are some teeth-gnashing thoughts:

• I’m combining work/pleasure. If I’m going to get on a flight for a conference and other work related stops, it makes sense to get the most out of that flight.

• We’re making it a longer trip than usual, again, getting the most out of that flight.

• We’ll be using public transportation on the ground and avoid renting a car unless there’s no other way to get around.

• I *always carry a water bottle and say no to the plastic cups on a flight or on the ground, we’re super conscious of our choices on the ground as far as waste/local food issues, and I plan to “carbon offset” this flight.

Discuss, please, kindly?

1 Like

Since, especially where you are, air travel is basically the only way off the island, I don’t think you have much choice. You have to do your business, and the fact that you’re thinking about it so deeply beforehand shows me that your concerns are real and do actually affect your life. Not that you need to compare yourself to others, I think the fact that there are many, many people on the earth that use private air transportation, which is so much more wasteful than any trip you could take, should at least get you off the proverbial hook as far as using the transportation because you literally have no choice.

1 Like

I think you are doing everything possible to help the environment. We all need to get away from time to time. It is good for our mental health. Please enjoy your trip.

1 Like

Regardless of where you live you have to take into consideration the impact of your trip. If it will use more fuel and resources to drive then flying is the greener alternative.

That’s a good point.