Applesauce, a cautionary tale

Last month a friend of ours gifted us with a jar of applesauce. (A treat, since here in Hawaii, apples aren’t a common crop.) He knows I’m a canner and he told me how he’d made this recipe himself, and simply used the “flip” method -->> https://104homestead.com/flippin-jelly-canning/

I mentioned that this method isn’t considered a safe canning method and he shrugged me off.

I came home and tucked the jar into the cupboard. I found it last night. The lid was convex, pushing up into a slight dome. When I unscrewed the ring there was an audible gasp of air. This is a jar that initially appeared to be sealed, but was not shelf stable.

I know a lot of us probably grew up using this method (my mom used it, certainly) but when we know better, we can be safer. It’s not hard to water bath applesauce and it assures a safe end product.

3 Likes

Don’t eat that sauce! :scream:

Kind of frightening really. I would never want to gift someone a jar of something that might have even the slightest chance of failing or going bad, much less sickening them. Canning isn’t hard it just requires simple precautions. We don’t need to be afraid of it, just to do it right.

1 Like

It was a major household bummer. Like, MAJOR. Waffle dinner went from :star_struck: to :cry: very quickly.

2 Likes

Yikes~! NEVER. If you do not wish to can in the proper bath, toss the finished food product into the freezer.

2 Likes

all my canning goes into a water bath or pressure caner

1 Like

Yes, one or the other depending on what you’re canning. I know that “that’s how grandma did it and we never died” but things change and now we know better.

1 Like

I’ve never even heard of jelly flipping! That sounds just wrong, IMHO. Well, guess it’s always nice to know what not to do. Bummberz on the waffles!

You can grow apples! There’s one out in the yard now with a pineapple as well. Apples and pineapples, both by the bunny hutch. It’s a variety called ‘Pettingill’ and has red apples although it’s still a young tree and so we’re on only the second apple it’s produced.

I’m not actually certain it’s the Pettingill variety, it may be producing apples from the rootstock, but you can air layer it or try to start a cutting from it if you want. We’re a lower elevation than you, so it should grow even better up at your house.

It’s a red apple and is sweet with a bit of tart, at least the one apple we’ve gotten so far. Not that I’m that fussy about the actual apple that is produced, that it’s producing at all is usually more important around here than the actual quality of the fruit. “It’s not how well the bear dances, it’s that the bear dances at all.”