Can you generate some chicken feed on site?

I’ve used a number of tactics over the years to help reduce how much I spend on feed for my hens. I’m trying to implement as many of these as I can right now. I’m a bit concerned about the continued availability of feed. Do you have any ideas to add? (I want to do mealworms, too, but I’m not sure where I can get those!)

I used to work in pet stores years ago. We always had tons of mealworms to feed lizards.

1 Like

Is there a farm supply store near you? You may find meal worms there. Can meal worms be used as pet food? If so, try pet stores.

1 Like

I’ll keep this in mind. The nearest pet store is an hour away!

I have been meaning to tell you that I was at Walmart the other day looking for something that they obviously did not have. I did notice, however, that they had meal worms in a big bag. Maybe that would be a better option than driving an hour?

Some folks have been keen on Black Soldier Flies as chicken food, I’m not sure if it’s worthwhile for the amount of effort, though. Our hens have been eating mulberries lately, but that’s just because the tree has been dropping them. We try to have things growing which produce fruit or food so the chickens get some of that. Otherwise, we give ours a lot of table scraps but then they have to scratch around for the rest of their food. Less eggs that way, but we don’t have to pay for feed so the cost per egg is about nil.