Hello! I’m considering the idea of raising egg-laying chickens, however, I’m a complete novice and would love to hear some advice from those who know what they’re doing. A few questions I have are:
- How many to start off with? (I’ve heard 4 is a good amount if you want a little more than a dozen eggs per week.)
- What are the best egg-laying breeds that won’t break the bank?
- Is it better to start out with chicks or with hens?
- Equipment - besides a coop, what are the basics one would need in order to get going?
- Feed- best for your buck?
- Any other advice for a beginner?