Feeding Your Flock of Chickens

I would love to hear from other members raising chickens, about what they feed their flocks and what positive and negative experiences you have to share with regard to feed options. I’ve been sort of obsessing about chicken feed (I know… how weird, right?).

1 Like

mine currently get laying pellets - no access to organic feed here - currently their yard is under three feet of snow so they are indoors - I also feed them vegetable scraps and every so often give them a pumpkin - they love the pumpkin and eat every bit of it

1 Like

We can be weird together. :laughing: I’m hoping to start with chickens this spring and we are planning to start vermicomposting to produce castings for the garden + hopefully some yummy high-protein worms for the chickens. I’ll report back when I have some actual experience to share!

1 Like

:joy:

My chickens are now 19 weeks and should (emphasis on that) start laying soon. I already had some vermicomposting set up for my gardens, but these picky birds seem not to be interested in worms. Really?? What birds don’t like worms? I think if you introduce them sooner than later, they’ll probably enjoy them thoroughly. Looking forward to hearing more about your chicken raising adventures, and sharing ideas!

1 Like

Your birds sound happy and healthy! I’m feeding mine a “grower” (higher protein) formula right now and as soon as about 80% of them are laying, I can switch to lay pellets or formula. “The kids” as I like to call them, now that I’m an empty nester, get some good grazing in daily in a grassy area, and they get some veggies and other kitchen scraps. Nice that you can give them a pumpkin now and then!

I am lucky that I have a non-gmo feed available. I ferment it for my chickens. They also free range some and get scratch. They have access to kitchen scraps too. Sometimes they get barley fodder and my neighbor raises mealworms and gives me some as well. As my grandfather used to say, they are fat and sassy, just the way he liked them!

1 Like