Gardening with Limited Mobility

I’d love to see/hear your solutions for gardeners who deal with limited mobility. As the population ages, more and more avid gardeners will be looking for a way to enjoy their favorite hobby in spite of limitations that may come with advanced years (or injuries and other physical limitations). Ideas?

1 Like

My husband has built several grow tables that are deep, sturdy and handicap friendly. I love being able to stand up to plant and harvest. We have learned that an arm friendly edge makes leaning easier. We have given to a couple senior housing centers.

1 Like

Oh, that’s an excellent point about leaning. So a “rolled” corner as opposed to square?

No a sloped front to allow the wheels of the wheelchair underneath and let the person get closer while still in the chair. The top edge has a 3 inch surface (flat) to support the forearms if they wish. Pat

P1000285.jpegPlanter view 2.jpeg

1 Like

OH! I see! These are great looking beds!

Well mine is not really unusual but we put in raised beds that are higher than our older ones that were only 8 inches deep. The new ones are 18 inches deep. AND a camp stool to sit by it to weed or whatever :smiley:.

1 Like

Nice, we have 5 foot long x 2 foot wide boxes that were originally on the front porch. Each are 32 inches deep. We moved to a condo and took with us for the patio. I am looking forward to using them this year. I always add compost, nutrients, and some new soil. They are over 5 years old and still look great. My husband is creating toppers of screen/chicken wire that are 24-36 inches tall and just lift off. No squirrels or deer can decimate produce and the toppers are easy to lift.

1 Like

I’d love to see those toppers when they’re done!

Planting in pots that sit on window sills or tables would be doable for some. How about straw bails?

Awesome. Because they are off the ground, the crops would also be less likely to have bugs in them.

That’s a great planting table, Rupie! Love the slanted front edge to get a wheelchair in there. Is it lined to keep it from dripping or do the gardeners wear aprons? Or perhaps both or something different?

We’ve been doing raised bed gardening for the past few years and I’ve noticed they keep getting higher and higher. It’s much easier weeding and harvesting when things are easy to reach and there’s no need to get down on the ground.

The latest raised garden still needs the paths around it made better, but it is partly to terrace the hillside as well as to provide a place to grow things.

There will eventually be another raised bed garden where that tall pile of grass is behind the red tin garden. As well as a much better path in front of and behind the gardens, but this is a project in progress. The ‘grass’ growing in the garden is corn and not the same stuff as the tall Guinea/Resnor/Cane/Elephant grasses growing on the hillside behind it.

Hmm, tin roofing bends in one direction and remains stiff in the other. Some shaped ends could allow tin roofing to curve in to allow for wheelchair knee access and the garden could be built outside. Fresh air and sunshine are beneficial to people as well as plants. Also, having the planter as part of the soil beneath (with a weed mat between) makes the drainage easy. I’ll try upgrading the next gardens to be wheelchair friendly as well as a raised bed. Not that we use a wheel chair now, but you never know if it won’t be handy later.