How to Flatten the Curve

With the Coronavirus in full swing, I’m curious to know what efforts you’re taking, if any, to be prepared for a call to embrace “social distancing.” Did you buy some extra supplies to avoid going out? Cancel a trip? Start working from home?

This article is a good one, discussing the idea of “flattening the curve” – https://www.flattenthecurve.com/

2 Likes

Flattening the curve is essential to make sure healthcare is available to all who need it when they need it. I shop at Costco about twice a year. I moved my last trip up by about a month and bought my usual supplies plus our usual annual hurricane shopping, which was about four months early. We are still picking up perishables weekly but have a cushion of staples just in case. We have ready to eat foods (soups, etc) in case we become too ill to cook regular meals. I think we are as ready as we can be.

3 Likes

Greetings from ‘lockdown’in Italy. We are at day 2 of this incredible situation. Lol. When my husband promised me a quiet retirement in his ancestral country, I didn’t think it would mean no movement allowed and stay at home enforcement… However, if this assists in containing this terrible virus, then we are more than willing to help. Our preparations included doing our monthly shop, as soon as part of the country went into lockdown. Then another monthly shop a week later. We usually have a month’s supply of animal feed on hand, however we doubled that. The car has been topped with petrol. Our dogs and cats are on ’ half dry rations’ with supplementary pig fat from the freezer. Our chickens were going to be moved to complete free range during the day, however as we have foxes and wolves, we have decided to keep them closer to the house. I think my advice to anyone is to keep busy - yesterday I made my first batch of soap. We also sat on our refurbished bench and enjoyed looking down the valley in the sunset. This morning we breakfasted on the terrace and thanked the heavens for such a glorious day.

Stay safe and enjoy the small things in life.

6 Likes

Covid-19 isn’t going to make any difference for me personally, since I work at home as a writer anyway. But I am stocked up not just on cleaning supplies, but food. Pet supplies aren’t a problem: We had bought for two cats, but one of them had to go to the Rainbow Bridge a couple of weeks ago. I consider Covid-19 to be a blessing in disguise: My husband is going on vacation, so we will have plenty of time to take care of a few projects.

2 Likes

Thank you for the “flatten the curve” article. Very informative without the drama fear mongering. Yes, we are “prepared” people anyway ,but a few weeks ago we topped off our OTC meds, got a 90 day supply of prescription meds and I text all my children to please put in a 30 day supply of food and things “for mom” :smile:. We have a little property and a garden and will hang out at the house for a while.I have craft/sewing projects lined up. We have stopped Walmart and thrift store browsing and I know what time to whip in/out of the local grocery store when there are only 2 people there. I hope that qualifies as our contribution to social isolation and flattening the curve!! Netflix binge anyone???

2 Likes

Well, I’ve jokingly bought extra TP, and I did put a big hand sanitizer in my car. I’m doing extra hand washing.
Even though our state has barely been affected, my daughter has extended spring break from college and then classes will go on-line, so she’s excited to spend extra time on homestead projects. We work from home on our hand-made business and unless shows are cancelled, she’ll still do those.
We haven’t stocked up on animal feed, but human food is plentiful. Perishables purchased as needed. No window shopping trips for a while. Right now it’s life as usual. We’ll go with the flow and not panic. My faith in God is big.

2 Likes

I heard from a friend in Como proper this morning who is on home lockdown. He reiterates that it’s not “just the flu” and that we need to be really smart about this. Glad you’re in a good place!

Cheers. Definitely not the simple flu. We see that US transmissions are increasing, so please take care. It is a good time to be sustainable and know how to grow your own food.

Take care Michelle

1 Like

We work at home, making ceramics, so work isn’t an issue for us. We eat pretty simply, and we have eggs from the chickens, so if we are at home for an extended period of time, we’d be ok. I went to the grocery store today to get produce; then went to Costco because we needed a few things. They were completely out of toilet paper, so I went back to the grocery store to get some.
I’m going to plant some greens, and put in my peas but that’s about all I can plant in NE Ohio—it’s early. I’ll start some seeds in the basement.
One of my daughters works for a newspaper in NYC—she’s been working from home all week, and says the streets and subways are eerily quiet.
I’ve tried to stay informed but not to spend a lot of time with social media.

1 Like

In two weeks, I was to head a conference for educators from throughout the state of Florida. We are going to cancel the event. Both of my college age children are going to be coming home for the rest of the semester and the college course I am teaching is transitioning to an online format. Lots of changes. I don’t feel fully prepared but I’m rolling with it. We are moving into the summer in Florida so gardening is pretty limited. I am grateful to have my garden though and I’m supposed to be getting some chicks in April (hopefully that will still happen). I’m stressed a bit but also very grateful that large organizations and educational institutions in the US are doing the right thing and canceling large events. It look that leadership to convince others to follow suit. I’m wondering how all of the troubles with the economy will translate in conjunction with the virus outbreak and whether the government will assist citizens and not just corporations and banks.

1 Like

These are questions for most of us, I think. I’m glad your kids will be with you, though!

Michelle, stay well there!

It’s amazing what a change has happened in 3 days. I did an extra grocery shop and we stocked up on feed and bedding for the animals. Re-filled prescriptions, too. It was really strange to see empty store shelves - I mean EMPTY! I was heartened to see that the big box store was out of butter, flour, sugar - I guess more people can cook from scratch than let on. The frozen entree freezers were still full. It was encouraging. I bought cream in case we run out of butter and need to make it. I just bought wheat berries 2 weeks ago. We’re as prepared as we can be at this point.

1 Like

I am in Northern Ontario - we are currently under a state of emergency in Ontario but nothing has changed for me - I am retired and still do our biweekly groceries but now the store shelves are empty of Kleenex, toilet paper, flour,rice and potatoes. Good thing I had a can of potatoes in the basement - making Irish seafood chowder today - cannot make it without a potato in it. Hope everyone is keeping well. Happy Irish Day. May the sacred fire of Brighid bless you today and all of the year. Brighid, the other patron Saint of Ireland, is the patron healers, poets and smiths. May she inspire you to be more. Slainte!

3 Likes

Slainte! That sounds like a fine idea to me!

1 Like

We are now in day 6 of a full country lockdown (I’m in New Zealand). This means you must stay home and can only leave to go to the supermarket, Dr or pharmacy. All restaurants and fast food outlets are closed which means people must cook their meals at home. I always cook, from scratch mostly, but do know people who rely on takeaways and uber eats so this is going to be a huge learning curve for them. I hope that once all this is over that people continue with the new habits they’ve learned, cooking and making do with what you have at home. Stay safe everyone, stay home and flatten that curve!

1 Like

How are you getting on in Italy now? The news coming out of there is very tragic. Stay safe

1 Like

I missed this earlier. We are in lockdown as well. (Hawai‘i) We’d been self-isolating since early March, based on a number of reports, including one from friends in Como, Italy. We’re doing fine, because how we’re eating now is not far from how we normally eat. (Though admittedly, we’re eating more rice and beans!) I worry about people who depend on restaurants and don’t garden. Glad to see so many people bucking up and figuring it out, though!

HI All. Here in Italy, we are at day 28 of quarantine and we are only now seeing a slight improvement…but it is a “light at the end of a tunnel”. However, we are seeing some really sad figures coming out of the US. Stay safe everyone.

1 Like

I have a friend in Como who has been sharing his experience and urging us to take this seriously. We are isolating here – have been well before official orders came out. But I’m shocked at how many people are flagrantly ignoring this order. Glad you’re well!