Introduce Yourself!

Whether you’re a hesitant chef or an experienced one, a homesteader or urban farmer, you’ll find a community of like-minded people here to discuss the vintage skills that shape a simple life. Welcome!

Take a moment to tell us a little bit about yourself. It’s nice for us to have an idea who we’re talking to! Tell us about your efforts to live a more self-reliant lifestyle if you like.

NOTE: Let’s keep this thread as a place for introductions. You can always start a new thread if someone’s introduction makes you want to reply and discuss something.

3 Likes

I’m a ceramic artist, and a gardener. I have had a round no-till organic garden for many years. Am interested in growing more of our food, learning about permaculture practices, how to maximize what we have here in NE Ohio. We’d also like to plant fruit trees, and I’d like to learn more about that.

3 Likes

Hello and thank you for creating this forum! My name is Dawn and I’m a health and life coach. I love gardening, growing, preserving and making my own foods from scratch. I’ve lived in the rural parts of Wyoming, the Oregon valleys and now reside as an urbanite in Salt Lake. I’m focusing on growing foods in an apartment and on a balcony for right now. I miss having chickens but I’ve been excited to have so many farmers market options.

As you can guess…I’m pretty interested in container gardening at the moment. However I have lots to contribute. From cooking on an old fashioned wood cook stove to “putting by” for the winter. I look forward to sharing information with everyone! Thank you Kris for including me!

2 Likes

Hello,
I live on the Big Island (east side). We we moved here from Northern California about 5 years ago (although my partner grew up here). We recently moved to the country from the city here in Hawaii and are enjoying the rural life once again. We have had dogs, cats, a pony, various poultry, and sheep over the years. I spin and knit, love to prepare and preserve food, and am a total homebody although I work full time outside the home. Now that we are out in the county, I am looking forward to growing all the difficult foods (tomatoes and zucchini are hard to grow here), maybe raise some chickens, and perhaps get a dog. Oh, and we have two geckoes, Stewie and SchloMo, whom we relocated with us when we moved out of town. Hello!

2 Likes

I am Rupie. Good Morning, I am looking forward to learning and sharing knowledge about self sufficiency and good environmental practices. I live in Ohio, now in a Condo so am using containers to achieve what I used to take for granted on 60 acres.

4 Likes

Hi. This is Michelle (and ''Hubby), retired Australian couple living in Italy and living the ‘dolce vita’ life on the side of a Tuscan hill. We are interested in sustainable living, raising chickens, gardening and good wine. Simple pleasures really. We are looking forward to this forum. Cheers Michelle and Greg

3 Likes

Hello! My name is Arwen and I live in North Carolina. I love gardening and am currently in the middle of constructing a large raised-bed garden area in my backyard which will house herbs, veggies, and fruits. I enjoy learning about sustainable practices and homesteading techniques, and hope to one day move away from the burbs and settle on some nice acreage.

2 Likes

Hello! Thanks for creating this forum! My name is Donna. I currently live and work full time in NE Ohio and I have a condo on the Big Island. I’ve always been interested in living closer to the land. My interests with this group are learning all I can about living off the grid so when I retire in a few years and move to the Big Island full time I’ll have a plan for where to start. Looking forward to sharing and learning!

2 Likes

Hi. I’m John. I’ve been an experimenter all my life. Always trying new things. I’m a gardener, canner, home baker, vegetarian mostly. I was attracted to the blog in the first place because I am always trying to minimize my impact on the planet as well as do my best to make it a better place. Looking forward to sharing and learning along with everyone else.
JOHN

2 Likes

Hi All,

My husband and I have been growing our own vegetables for 8 years. We love planting new things to see how well they will grow. We have our own composting bin, which has come in very handy for fertilizing. We live in Maine so sometimes the garden is a challenge with how short our growing season can be, but we still love doing it and will continue to keep planting for the foreseeable future. I am hoping to learn some gardening tips from this forum, as well as tips on preserving and fermenting what we grow and maybe find some new recipes, as my husband and I also love to cook.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Susan, and I live “upcountry” on the Big Island of Hawaii. Originally from Massachusetts, I’ve been here for 25 years. I’ve raised milking goats, ducks and chickens. I’ve had gardens and edible landscaping for a while, with varying degrees of success. Also really enjoy cooking from scratch and quilting (patterns or improv). I’m focused on increasing our food supply/security and living more sustainably in this island environment. Recently, we started a new flock of 14 chickens (2 cockerels and 12 pullets) and I’ve been interested in exploring balanced and affordable feed options.

Thanks for starting the forum, Kris! I think this is a great way to share info outside of the typical social media platforms - bravo!

2 Likes

Grew up on a farm in the Ozarks and have recently returned to farming in Northern Arkansas. I have a degree in biology and taught high school science for twelve years. I only eat plants for health reasons and so decided to grow and store my own food as much as possible. From that, got interested in living more sustainably in all areas of my life. It’s a work in progress. Currently interested in gardening, food preservation, cooking, sewing, making my own cleaning and beauty products, WFPB eating, and hiking.

2 Likes

I am currently retired and have been gardening since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I currently have partridge chanticleer chickens and will be building a milk shed and small barn for dwarf Nubian goats my wife wants. I also make herbal salves and remedies

2 Likes

Hello! I’m Judy and I live in Michigan. Semi-retired. I have a few raised beds and am most interested in how to reduce my footprint. Working hard to recycle as much as possible!

2 Likes

Hi. I’m Lorna, a fairly recent transplant to Scottsdale, Arizona from California. Gardening here in the desert is a definite challenge. Right now there are strawberries and rosemary on the patio but that’s about it for edibles. We’ve acquired a summerhouse in Prescott which is at 5,000 feet elevation. It snows in the winter–another challenge for me. I’d like to do some container gardening there during the summer and want to plant some fruit trees. So far I have one espaliered apple. Any hints for gardening at elevation?

2 Likes

Good evening! While I am new to this forum, I’m not completely new to the ideas behind sustainable living. Indeed, I have spent years collecting information and pictures about everything I could think of, from solar energy to construction. I may be more of a lurker than anything else, but I will be reading!

2 Likes

Hi! I am Susan from east, central IL (zone5B). I have a large market garden and manage our local, small (25 vendors) Farmer’s Market. I am retired and love gardening, cutting firewood, keeping bees and reading. I enjoy reading what other people are doing and learning from them. I already have peppers and tomatoes started in the basement and am excited to start growing soon. See yo around the forum.

3 Likes

Hello, my name is Terri and live in NC in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I work full time as a Teacher’s Assistant but am a hobbyist in gardening and chickens. I love to cook from scratch especially if most of the ingredients comes from our land. I currently have two raised beds that I started a few years ago along with some chickens I bought a few years ago. I would love to add more animals to be more self sufficient.

3 Likes

Hello, my name is Robin. I’m an ABSOLUTE newby, longtime city apartment dweller whose family was not “into” the outdoors in any sort of way…so I’m stumbling along. I do make my own cleaning supplies, try to live as sustainably as I can on very limited income and I am an avid crafter when I get the time. I now own a home next to a huge field and love watching deer and other critters but I have not wanted to try gardening because I don’t want to fight 'em, just enjoy 'em. Hoping though to pick up ideas for indoor food growing and for other sustainable food and lifestyle issues.

2 Likes