Locally produced meat (not a vegetarian friendly post)

My wonderful electrician dropped by on Saturday with a freshly caught wild boar, asking if we wanted it. My husband wasn’t home and I didn’t want to tackle it solo. I wasn’t sure how soon hubby would be home, so said wonderful electrician took the boar home and skinned, gutted, and got it hanging for us in his reefer.

We processed it today. It’s the first time we’ve done a pig and we are never going to be hired as butchers, but we now have about 30 pounds of local, wild pork in the freezer in the form of “roasts” (that’s being generous), ground pork, and sausage. Now I’m roasting the bones and making pork stock. And yeah, feeling very productive, if tired! :wink:

5 Likes

What do you use pork stock for? I tried making it once and didn’t find that it had a lot of flavour. Wild boar might be different though

This was an experiment – I’ve never really had enough pork bones to try making stock! But it turned out great. I’ll use it as I would chicken stock. I think it would be a great base for both beans and soups. I roasted the bones first, which I do with any of my stock bones. A little oil and salt on them, then roast for several hours or until nicely browned. Then I moved them to the stock pot. It’s really delicious!

Its the basis of shiro for ramen or saimin! If cooked down for 24 or more hours, it can be very flavorful. My neighbors just processed a wild pig the other night…

1 Like

It is delicious! I cooked one batch for 24 hours, another for 48 in the slow cooker.

1 Like

Yay! I have largely given up meat, but I do still use meat broths and I don’t think I will ever fully give up saimin. Sushi, milk, eggs, and occasionally bacon are still in my diet. The thought of a slow cooked pork broth has my mouth watering.

1 Like

So, in addition to this “haul” our friend harvested a second boar. He and my husband have spent the past couple of days making this amazing German sausage. It’s chilling in the fridge; we’ll wrap and freeze tomorrow. It’s smoked, so every time I open the fridge it smells swoon-worthy in here!

1 Like

I raised rabbits for the freezer for about 10 years when my children were little. They loved rabbit meat. Now I have the dual purpose chickens and will be getting goats in the fall or next spring.

1 Like

Pig in the freezer is great!!

To find the pork chops, cut the rib slabs off up near the spine. I have a special pair of garden loppers that are clean and oiled with vegetable oil to cut bones and through joints and such. I find that easier than a knife. Anyway, cut either through the spine with a saw or some such implement, or cut the ribs off the spine in a big slab. Then cut halfway through the lower rib slab horizontally. That’s where the loppers come in really handy for cutting through the bones. That lower cut off part is what is usually sold as ‘baby back ribs’, I think. On the top thicker slab of ribs, if you slice up between each rib, that’s where the pork chops are hiding. Basically, a pork chop is a bit of upper rib with a slice of the loin. Which does sacrifice the loin as a separate cut of meat.

Is your electrician’s name Miles? He’s our electrician and dropping a pig off somewhere sounds like something he’d do.

Do you want the occasional rabbit to eat? These are all English angoras, so they’d be about a five pound rabbit. I sometimes get one that shouldn’t be bred or I don’t want to sell or keep for some other reason and they can go to folks for dinners. You’d have to get it from a live rabbit to dinner, though, I’ve not gotten to the stage of bopping them on the head yet. Not to sound like a weenie or anything, but they’re just too cute!

1 Like

Oh, that is so cool! What kind of spices did they use?

I’m not opposed to rabbit on the table, but like you, the butchering isn’t something I’m ready to tackle. Thanks, though!

That I don’t know! This is a recipe from a friend and I’ve never made them myself.