Recipes that won't heat up the kitchen?

With summertime here, many of us will be trying to get dinner on the table without heating up the house. What’s your favorite recipe to make when it’s hot outside?

Anything on the grill. We use our grill in the dead of winter depending on what mood Ohio is in😉

1 Like

We do, too! Our covered patio is the best!

Gazpacho! That recipe is mostly a bunch of chopped vegetables with herbs in a tomato-juice base. Ideally, you would make it a day ahead and give the flavors time to marinate.

I make all kinds of salads… pasta with beans, tomatoes, cukes, etc., etc. I love to make my own dressings using my own home grown basil, lemon juice, and “lemon” olive oil. YES, there really is such a thing and it adds such a nice zing to any salad that you make.
Tomorrow, I’m making a salad with chickpeas, cukes, chopped tomatoes, green onions, green peas, feta cheese, sliced black olives and sliced green pimento olives. And I’m not sure yet what kind of dressing I will use. Maybe a mild balsalmic an evoo.

1 Like

People talk about gazpacho so much, but I just can’t seem to get beyond cold soup. :joy:

1 Like

LOL! Well, think of it as soupy salsa. That is pretty close, except that the vegetable chunks are larger.

1 Like

Small kid time we’d have ice cream for dinner on really hot days. Cake, too, but it would have already been made. When the cousins visited, we had to get out the other ice cream maker that was hand cranked so we would have to take turns cranking the handle. But, what with the ice and salt and all, it was pretty cold work even though it was hot summer time.

Otherwise, cold sandwiches with salad and smoothies are good hot day foods. Or just eat watermelons! Yumm!

1 Like

As far as particular recipes, I would say things like egg salad, green salads, and pasta salad are all things that don’t require significant cooking.

However, the two things I have done recently that help to not heat up my kitchen and house so much are to buy a combination rotisserie / convection oven. It was only about $75.00 and it does an impressive job with cooking chicken and beef on the rotisserie setting. I also bought a Crock Pot, which enables me to open more cooking space on the stove and can be used to cook soups, stews, chicken, etc.