Smart (and Panic-Free) Planning for these Uncertain Times

A friend of mine recently asked me what I was stocking up on, in light of current events. I tend to maintain a pretty full pantry, so I didn’t have to do a lot of over-the-top shopping, but not everyone lives like we do. Heck, not everyone even *cooks!

I started formulating a list for her, then realized there are probably a lot of people wondering the same thing, so I’m putting it here.

What would you ADD?

I have been a little bit of stocking up every time I go to the store. I have been especially checking the clearance aisles. Specifically, I have been buying canned tuna, paper towels, spices, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, dishwashing liquid, dishwasher pods, and yes, toilet paper. I have not been going crazy, though, as I know that everyone else needs some, too.

1 Like

It’s interesting times. We generally make a big “shop” every few months, so we can drive less. We’re getting near needing to do that, but I’m debating whether to shop “normally” (for us) or lightly so as to leave more for other people. I’ll probably leave more of the things that are in high demand.

I have been deliberately buying extra of things I commonly use a lot because the stores are periodically out of things like t.p., paper towels, and dish soap, but I also buy extra trash bags, canned good items, shampoo, spices, and teas. I have also bought extra raw onions that I have chopped and frozen. I am growing green beans and carrots that I plan to blanch and freeze. I am also growing my own herbs to harvest, clean, dry, grind, and freeze. It saves a lot of money, not to mention knowing what is in my food and being more independent of stores.

1 Like