What are you harvesting from your garden!?

I’ve got lettuce, green beans (so many), shishito peppers, cherry tomatoes, a handful of small Roma tomatoes, tomatillos. All in small amounts, but steady.

Long bean, lettuce, kale, green inions, herbs. The winter squash (kabocha) is sooo close. Poha berries, tomatillos, and tomatoes are really close too.

1 Like

Here in NE Ohio, I’ve got lots of lettuces, green onions, edible pod peas, basil, dill, and other fine herbs. Beans are coming up, onions are getting bigger. I will likely harvest garlic in the next few days. Some of it is great; others never formed cloves. I’ve had a little broccoli, but not a lot, and some kale and gorgeous swiss chard. I dug a few fingerlings for dinner the other day. Blueberries are happening, and I go out with my bucket of soapy water to knock the Japanese beetles into it. Raspberries are beginning, too. Blossoms on squash, pepper tomato, and cucumber plants. Wee tomatoes, too. It’s been a weird year (in so many ways!): late spring, wet spring, late frost. And now hot and very dry.

1 Like

Some of the harvest around here is more yard food than garden food. There’s guava jam from the tree at the roadside. A pineapple by the bunny hutch is still teasing us but is starting to turn yellow. There’s an apple on the apple tree right above it so we have one apple and one pineapple. It’s a very young apple tree (Pettingill) so this is our second fruit from it. There was another fruit about two weeks ago and after the one that’s red, it looks like there will be three more. There’s been bananas and more coming soon. Various teas - mamaki, peppermint and black tea. We still haven’t figured out the tea processing to get consistent results yet, though.

We’ve been eating corn for about two weeks and the corn is almost all gone now. I’ll replant the corn as soon as the seed corn is dry on the two best ears.

The beans are about done, we had ‘Greasy Grits’ in one garden and ‘Good Mother Stallard’ in another garden about seventy feet away. Hopefully they didn’t cross pollinate. They weren’t getting ripe quite at the same time so we had timing distance as well as physical distance.

Good Mother Stallard is an excellent soup bean, I’ve not tried the Greasy Grits as soup beans yet. They were a somewhat strange string bean. Double strings on them and they got tough and chewy as a green bean pretty fast. Interesting ‘umami’ flavor, I think is what it would be called. I think they will be better in soup than as green beans. We just had a really nice soup made with ‘yellow eye’ beans. Very tasty and they held their shape even when soft.

The lettuce seems to not like the heat of summer, even though it’s romaine it pretty much sprouts and goes directly to seed.

There’s loads of little dark cherry tomatoes. Lots of them, but they’re pretty small. I’m gonna replant the ‘apocalypse’ garden (a raised bed garden built at the beginnings of Covid) which had corn, beans & watermelon now that the corn and beans are about done. The watermelons are just in the corners so they can keep going while the rest is being replanted. There’s two of the watermelons who seem to have evaded the fruit flies so they’re out there growing bigger, but they won’t be ready to harvest for another week or two.

1 Like

Wow! Did your romas do well? I have harvested watermelon radishes, beautiful arugula, mustard cabbage and kai laan. and my dahlias are so happy. not edible but it feeds my soul.

They’re small and tasty. It’s not the most productive plant I’ve had, but it did well enough that I’m going to try to start seedlings from seeds. I’ll let you know if I have any luck and share!

Also, I know you’re not interested in eating your dahlias, but: https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/dahlia-bulbs-zmaz09aszraw

oh gosh. no, definitely not going to eat the tubers. yikes…

1 Like