What is your area of gardening expertise?

Can you grow a tomato the size of a cannonball? Is your soil teeming with worms and microbes? Are you skilled at getting the most out of your limited space? Tell us where you out-garden all the other gardeners! (And then we’ll pick your brain!) :slight_smile: :grinning:

I excel at landscaping with edibles but I’m a bit rusty. One year my son won the county fair with a pumpkin from the compost pile. Otherwise I’m just a great visionary who tries to grow whatever I can get my hands on - regardless of the climate!

I grow vegetables and now flowers for pollinators in pots.

1 Like

I love the idea of working edible plants into all parts of the yard/garden. My yard isn’t very “groomed” but even so I have some peppers and blueberries mixed into one landscaping edge.

1 Like

I’m really good at fencing and building gates. As far as what’s in the garden…I’m still at the toss some seeds in and hope for the best stage of homesteading. Sometimes it turns out really well. Sometimes…I’m really hungry for vegetables. :slight_smile:

We wanted to have fresh produce all year (zone 7). We do not have a greenhouse and people said it couldn’t be done here. We ignored that and tried anyway. I guess I’m most proud of my winter garden. People ask me what I’m doing now that garden season is over. I’m still harvesting broccoli, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, collards, kale, onions, arugula, lettuces, and herbs. I’m a fall/winter garden expert I suppose.

3 Likes

I live in zone 4 - I grow vegetables in raised beds made from cedar planks as my soil is clay - hard pan clay - hoping to build a greenhouse this summer so I get get peppers to ripen - currently turning most of my lawn into a herb garden - I have patches of oregano, mint, thyme and lemon balm that are growing everywhere. I cut my lawn only after I pick the wild herbs that grow there. plantain, yarrow, muellein, and violets. I use these in my herbal preparations.

t

1 Like

This is awesome! Have you ever read the book Solviva? It’s kind of obscure, but she’s gardening in Maine with an off-grid (ie; not heated) greenhouse and has some pretty interesting ideas. For instance, she keeps animals IN the greenhouse so their body heat helps keep the temperature up.

I wrote a bit more about it here: https://www.attainable-sustainable.net/homestead-books/

2 Likes

Fences are valuable! :slight_smile:

I shall look for this book - I will check my local library first

1 Like

Great attitude DawnY.

Kris was planting the peppers and blueberries together to help keep bugs from the blueberries? I will be planting blueberries in the spring and I’m really nervous about
about it.

Losing some seeds may not be your fault. Birds, and probably other critters, like to eat them. So don’t beat yourself up. To cope with this, I just plant more seeds than I think I will need. Good luck!

I have grow green onions and lettuce in the winter. It is so much better than paying $3 to $5 for it at the store if I can water it reliably.

I make my own compost. I used to try to make it in a bin, but it did not break down enough that way. Now, I just pile up the leaves, fruit peels, vegetable peels, coffee grounds, and tea bags. I water it once in awhile when mother nature does not. I stir it sometimes and toss in some worms. And what do you know, it’s compost!

1 Like

We’ve been doing raised bed gardens around here. Originally, it was an anti-weed whacker prevention method due to excessively enthusiastic people armed with weapons of mass garden destruction. However, concrete blocks stacked about three high, lined with weed mat and fenced to keep out the chickens have been way more productive than our previous flat ground gardens.

The gardens usually end up overplanted since they aren’t that big and the seeds from Baker Creek seeds seem to ALL sprout. They don’t need a lot of water or fertilizer since we’re only working with the area that has the plants growing in it, no garden paths necessary.

It’s also really nice to not have to get on the ground for weeding. Since the weeds are right there and easy to reach, the raised bed gardens get much more ‘grooming’ than the flat land gardens.

This is the last one which was built, it has tin roofing on the front, I’m not sure if that’s better than the concrete blocks or not, but there’s more than one way to build a raised bed garden.

This particular garden is also terracing the hillside, it’s about 32" high on the front and about 10" at the back and it’s only about 42" deep. The raised beds are narrow so the center can be reached. That tall grass on the right side of the picture is cane/elephant/Guinea grass and one of the reasons why we’re tearracing the hillside with raised bed gardens instead of trying to mow that wretched tall grass.