What pantry staple are you really good at making?

When we’re trying to cut back on packaging and less than ideal ingredients things like condiments and easy-to-grab snacks can foil our efforts. What have you been *successful at replacing?

(Links to your favorite recipe welcome!)

I would say bread. I recently went back to making a small loaf a week — toast is such an easy grab and go snack for us. It’s getting harder and harder to find mustard in glass so I am looking forward to trying your mustard recipe. Nomnom Paleo has a great Sriracha replacement recipe, which also saves us on plastic.

2 Likes

Pancakes -not using Bisquick. I have a great almond flour recipe that I make a giant batch and freeze. Also microwave popcorn using kernels and a brown paper bag. No salt issues!

3 Likes

I recently started making pasta. It is easy and tastes so much better than the stuff in boxes.

2 Likes

That’s a labor of love, but it is so good!

Do you freeze the batter or the already-cooked pancakes?

A few years ago a friend taught me how to can pizza sauce. Now thanks to her I grow and can almost all of the vegetables in my pantry.

I make and freeze the pancakes–sorry that wasn’t very clearGrin.

1 Like

I used to can pizza sauce as well! I just can’t grow tomatoes in that quantity anymore, though – they don’t grow well here, believe it or not. :frowning:

I haven’t made pasta in years but I’m going to make it again this year.

1 Like

I make bread, scones and all my pancakes from scratch. I used to make pasta but we are tying to cut down on the bread and pasta right now. so I make a loaf of bread and a batch of scones every couple of weeks.

1 Like

I have been successful at replacing some of the common herbs that I use in cooking with ones I usually grow in the summer - basil, parsley, oregano, and thyme. I grow them, harvest them, dry them, grind them, and put them in glass jars to be stored in the freezer to keep fresh for a long time. It is work, but not as much as you might think, and it pays off, too, in convenience and money. The winter after I started growing basil for the first time, there was a winter storm where I live and I could not even get out to go to work. But I did needed to cook supper and found I had all the ingredients to make ham and bean soup.

3 Likes

Mayo! Homemade is so much more delicious.

2 Likes

I also make mayo. I make it in small batches, because it does not stay fresh for long.

1 Like