What's the biggest change you hope to tackle this year in greening up your life?

I’m all about small steps, but having a goal can help us get there. Is it breaking a certain habit? Learning how to make something you usually get store bought? Tell us what your plans are! (Bonus points if you share how you will make it happen!)

We have plenty of Farmers’ Markets and I have a friend who shares her eggs and honey. I would like to become a little more involved in the local community efforts to share knowledge and learn more.

I think that’s a fantastic goal. It’s one of mine, too, and also the hardest for me – I’m such an introvert!

1 Like

I have several goals, but the hardest is proving to be decreasing plastic bottles in the products I buy. While I make my own laundry soap and can purchase local bar soaps for dishes, hand-washing, and showering, finding a bottleless shampoo/ conditioner option has been difficult. Either they are too expensive or the ingredients aren’t as natural as I’d like them to be. I’d be up for making my own, but I’ve not found a recipe that works. If anyone has any suggestions (that they’ve tried and are happy with), please let me know!

Thanks, just agreed to give a talk on Bees and other Pollinators in October. New for me. Pat Rupiper (by the way was a Master Gardener and had the education in 2 different states)

1 Like

Using less stuff. Just being aware of what we are using. And we really try NOT to be wasteful, we are pretty in tune with what we are using…but sometimes I still catch myself thinking, “wait, why do we even HAVE this? We don’t need it.” I want 2020 to be about understanding what we really need and then only using that amount – and that applies to so many facets of life. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Soap making is the one skill I want to add to my repretoire this year.

2 Likes

Oh, do it! I dragged my feet about it because it seemed large and scary. But it is so easy! Easier than making cookies. We are LOVING the solid dish soap I make.

2 Likes

Amen to the immersion blender. A real game changer when it comes to soap making.

2 Likes

Thanks for that advice.

2 Likes

You can make your own shampoo bars. I’ve been making and using them for several years. They work great.

1 Like

The shampoo issue is one I’ve yet to figure out a full solution to. I’ve tried countless (expensive) shampoo bars and they just don’t work well with my frizzy, curly hair. My solution at this point is to use a somewhat less caustic brand (Giovanni) that I can get refilled at my health food store. Not perfect, but at least I’m not buying new plastic bottles every couple of months.

I also do not shampoo daily.

1 Like

I’m hoping to learn to make soap for laundry and dishes.

1 Like

We’ve had good luck with these shampoo bars: https://www.longviewfarms.org/blog/shampoo-bars/ and also Liggett’s. (I get them from Azure Standard, if that’s an option in your area.) I think it does depend a lot on your hair type. We have mostly fine/straight around here.

1 Like

I’m hoping to join a CSA and preserve the extra if my garden comes through too!

1 Like

I made this for the first time about a year and and we LOVE it. I’ve given it to people who also love it. Give it a try!

3 Likes

I am trying to get rid of using plastics - This year I mad wax wraps so I do not need plastic wrap - I make my own soap and am currently working on - making y own deodorant, shampoo bars and conditioner bars and following that making homemade make up for my girls - I already make them bath bombs, bath salts, face masks, healing and pain salves, drawing salves, cold remedies and various other tinctures

1 Like

This is on my to do list!

1 Like

Not wasting so much. Paying closer attention to being creative with leftovers. Buying less, making more of my own food.

Switching to shampoo and conditioner bars, and coconut oil too, and shampooing much less.

For cleaning at home, over time I’ve switched to vinegar, baking soda (sometimes those two combined), borax (is this okay?) and lemon juice. So many products come in plastic bottles. Mrs Meyers is supposed to be better but the bottles. Trying Dropps detergent pods, they seem to be doing a decent job without plastic. Haven’t calculated how much more it’s costing me…

1 Like

I am comfortable with borax, personally, and use it in some of my homemade cleaners.