What's your go-to book for safe canning recipes?

I’ve always used the Ball Book of Canning. I also have Food in Jars and The Farm Girl’s Guide to Preserving the Harvest.

2 Likes

The only thing I had for years was a book called Stocking Up. It’s okay, but now we have the interwebs and I use the Ball website and other reliable resources (like Attainable-Sustainable.net!) to find what I need. There’s some pretty unreliable info out there, so when canning, I’m going to proceed with extreme caution.

2 Likes

My go-to has always been the Ball Blue Book of Canning. It’s what my mom used when I was growing up and I got a more “modern” version when I started canning at home myself. (The more current version is here.) I have a new book here called Modern Pressure Canning that I’m excited to dig into.

1 Like

Certainly Ball Canning comes first. I do have several others. I love to can and I freeze a lot when I only have small quantities (when there are only two of us now, I no longer need 200+ jars of tomato products). One thing I do make sure of is that I have one batch of tomato soup and one batch of pressure canned vegetables that I use as a soup starter.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, I remember that book. Was so good before the internet (80’s?).

1 Like

I’m looking forward to the newest edition of The Joy of Cooking. I understand they have added back in a bunch of preserving recipes. I just bought the book but haven’t had time to even open it yet.

2 Likes

Yes, it was the 80s I think! Or early 90s. These book clubs used to offer a selection of like 5 books free, if you joined and just bought one. That’s how I got the book. :rofl:

2 Likes

LOL to the book club!

2 Likes

I stick to what my mother and grandmother taught me and develop my own recipes from that

1 Like